Friday, August 25, 2006

Another Canadian Tire story

As if I needed to here yet another person's tale of Canadian Tire woe to convince me to never.... EVER take my car there..

This is from the newsgroup at work. Poor bastard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently took my car to the Canadian Tire store on 119 Richmond Road in Ottawa, Ontario, K1Z 6W1. I took the car there to have some electrical work done. While the car was in the possession of the Canadian Tire Auto Service Centre, my car was hit by another vehicle that left the scene without a trace. The incident occurred on Thursday August 24th between 7:35am and 7:55am, shortly after I had dropped it off that morning. Although I found the service for my electrical work to be good, I was shocked to find that my car had been greatly damaged while in the possession of the Auto Service Centre. I immediately contacted the police and my insurance company who consider this to be a hit and run. The damage to my car is in excess of $3500. From the explanation the collision company I took my car to, my car was hit by a large tired vehicle, probably a transport truck. After I dropped my car off at Canadian Tire Auto Service Centre, I walked to the customer shuttle that was driving me to work located at the rear of the building close to where my car was parked. I noticed a Canadian Tire transport truck preparing to pull into the loading dock. My car was parked beside the entrance of the driveway to the loading dock. My shuttle driver pointed the female truck driver to the entrance, and she looked frustrated that she had to pull into such a tight entrance. I believe that the Canadian Tire transport truck hit my car, and left the scene. Unfortunately I cannot find any surveillance cameras that were pointed in the direction of my car so I cannot prove what actually happened. Because of this, my insurance company is covering the cost of the car except for my $300 deductible. This entire experience has cost my hours of time to deal with the police, insurance company, rental car agency, collision company and time away from my job.

Do you think that Canadian Tire owes me any compensation for the damage? Should they have to at least cover my deductible? Do you think my insurance company will go after Canadian Tire over $3500+my rental car + whatever other costs?

My car is a 1997 Honda Civic CX (hatchback) with 150k km on it. Do you think they will write off my car or fix it? The car is in great condition with no rust. Do I have any choice whether the insurance company writes off my car or fixes it. If they pay me off, will they just take my car, give me $$$$, and leave me without a car?

6 Comments:

Blogger ElaineMI said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:46 PM  
Blogger ElaineMI said...

I work for an insurance company and your companies are probably very similar to ours. SO, this is what will possibly happen:

1) if the damage to the car is more then what blue book value is, the insurance will write you a check for that amount and then you sign over the title to it and use the money for a downpayment on another car.

2) if you wish to keep car, banged up, they'll still give you the check, you sign some papers saying that you're keeping car and will be insuring it under just liability (no comprehensive or collision). They don't fix it. But then, you have the money to either put down towards another car or find a friend that can fix your car for cheaper.

Have you talked with the manager of Canadian Tire? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you haven't, the answer is automatically going to be no but if you tell him that your car was under their responsibility, THEIR truck was parked outside and it is obvious that it was hit by a truck, you never know....he may pay the $300. Good luck

5:53 PM  
Blogger ElaineMI said...

(Hitting myself in the forehead) IF you can get the manager of CT to admit responsibility, then it's considered property damage, as long as you were parked legally. Then the insurance company of the truck pays for it all.

Also, sorry, remembered all this after I posted.....you might want to consider checking into broad collision instead of basic. The difference may not be that much different in price. Also, the insurance company would have waived your deductible as it was clearly not your fault.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

elainemi: I don't understand how situation 2) could work. (1) says I get the blue book value and no wrecked car. (2) says I get the blue book value AND the wrecked car, which I could then sell for parts / repair. The way I understand it (and was explained to me when I wrote off a 1994 Trans Am) was that I could buy the wreck from them if I wanted to repair / sell it.

The insurance company has got to get something out of the deal - either your wrecked car which the auction off, or a cheque from you to buy the wreck. If situation (2) were true, I'd go smash up my car right now! I'd get my full market value PLUS the cash for selling the wreck for parts!

8:15 AM  
Blogger ElaineMI said...

I work for an insurance company. I had a situation where a young lady hit a guard rail, avoiding hitting a deer. The damage wasn't much but was more then what the vehicle was worth. She did get the check and she also was able to keep the car. She was just unable to insure it full coverage (meaning she couldn't keep comprehensive or collision on the vehicle).

Now, be aware, that you may choose to play crash up derby with every and any car that you own. However, considering that they'll be AT FAULT accidents, and thus, you will be charged with such, until the time that you will be considered uninsurable. Then, at least here in Michigan, you go into the, what they call, the Michigan Pool, for high risk drivers. I have seen a 6 month premium, for a, say a 95 Dodge Neon, with just liability (again...no comp or collision) and the guy was paying over $2000.00. So, I'd crash my cars 'very, very' carefully, if I were you.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine that the car wasn't worth very much -- indeed, you said as much when you indicated that the minor damage was more than the car was worth. So perhaps in that case, the insurance company won't bother to try to auction it off. It wouldn't be worth their time. In my case, my cheque was for around $20,000 and the car would be worth thousands of dollars in parts. I could have definitely bought the car back from them, but they certainly weren't about to give it to me for nothing. Your second paragraph is just responding to my facetiousness, you should have saved the effort :-)

In Ontario the high-risk insurance is called "facility".

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home