Tuesday, July 25, 2006

All of a sudden, I'm a guitar teacher.

In the span of a month, I've started teaching two people guitar. Which is kind of funny, since I've always felt that even though I know chords well and can transition through them enough to play and sing a few songs, my technique overall isn't that good. I mean, I can't wail on Metallica solos and stuff like that. I'm mostly a rhythm guitar kinda guy.

At least my students are beginners, so I can start with the basics: Tuning, picking, finger positioning, the easy chords, etc. I basically taught myself to play, so I've thought back to "What did I do when I was learning?" and I've tried to pass that down to them. I don't think it will take long for them to catch up to me, but maybe I'm underestimating my skill level, we'll see. At a minimum, maybe I'll have a couple more folks to jam with. ;)

Because I'm so hesitant about my 'teacher' role. I'm not taking any money from these folks. Although it looks like I might get Indian cooking out of the one gig! :D

Any Ottawa folk out there want to learn too? Maybe I can turn this into a side job... "Will Teach For Food!!"

9 Comments:

Blogger DJ Alley said...

What else will you teach for??

10:01 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'd totally pay for lessons if it weren't for the commute to Kanata to get them. I've always wanted to learn guitar.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJ... Sassy!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Henly said...

Alley, depends what you have to offer!!

Heather, yeah the commute is a bit far. You'll have to wait for the Instructional Video. ;)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Would you swap trades?

12:09 PM  
Blogger DJ Alley said...

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANON!!!!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Sara and Scott said...

Swap trades... that sounds kind sketchy Stacey... you never know what Henly might want to swap for.

I hear he's pretty keen to swap spit though :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Henly said...

Note to self: Don't introduce the new girlfriend to ANYBODY!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Henly said...

just kidding

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home