Friday, April 21, 2006

Playoff Predictions

Restless sleep, loss of appetite. Must be playoff time.

I'm going to do each round as it comes.

The East
--------
Ottawa (1) vs. Tampa Bay (8)
Prediction: Ottawa in 5
Ottawa has dominated Tampa during the regular season. They are now 100% healthy except for Hasek, but Emery has been good enough and the D in front of him is the best in the league. Tampa Bay has HGUE weapons, but goaltending has let them down all season.

Carolina (2) vs. Montral (7)
Prediction: Carolina in 6
I like the Habs. Montreal's got heart, especially come playoff time, but Carolina will be just too strong for them. Plus, Montreal did not beat Carolina once in the regular season.

New Jersey (3) vs. New York (6)
Prediction: New Jersey in 7
This will be a war. New Jersery has been on a HUGE roll and New York really faltered the last few games. Many times they could have wrapped up the division but failed. That being said, the Rangers are too good to not put up a huge fight. New Jersey is always a playoff performing team, and they have the Brodeur factor. This will be fun to watch.

Buffalo (4) vs. Philly (5)
Prediction: Buffalo in 6
I almost wanted to say 5 games. Buffalo is fast. Very fast. The only chance Philly has is if Ryan Miller succumbs to playoff pressure. I don't think Esche is a playoff goalie and I bet Forsberg will get injured in the first game.

The West
--------
Detroit (1) vs. Oilers (8)
Prediction: Detroit in 4
I'm sorry, I love the Oilers, I really do. Detroit is a machine with 7 players with 20 or more goals. Granted, they got to play the 3 worst teams in the West 24 times, but they are still the most dangerous team in the West. Oilers have limped into the playoffs. It's not going to be pretty.

Dallas (2) vs. Colorado (7)
Prediction: Dallas in 6
To be honest, I haven't really been following Colorado this year so I don't know what to expect from them. I gave them 6 games because of their strong playoff history but Dallas won't have a tough time.

Calgary (3) vs. Anaheim (6)
Prediction: Anaheim in 7
I know, going against yet another Canadian team. Calgary might win this, I'm more sure it will go 7 games than I am who will win. My feeling is that Anaheim is a bit of a sleeper here, their 2nd half was strong. Kipper has been outstanding in the regular season, but I'm almost expecting a sophomore jinx here. Besides, I needed a couple of upsets at least!

Nashville (4) vs. San Jose (5)
Prediction: San Jose in 5
My buddy Matt was right, San Jose is the sleeper team to watch this year, although they really haven't been *quiet* with their end of season play. Their roll will continue through the first round. Nashville's only shot is if Vokoun stands on his head and Toskala chokes due to no previous experience.


Comments?

4 Comments:

Blogger Henly said...

Uh, yeah.

Thx Matt for pointing out Vokoun's done for the year because of a blood disorder. Forgot about that. I still think they'll win 1 game.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with most of your predictions... the Ottawa series should be fairly quick and in favour of the Sens. My main concern is confidence. Emery looks behind himself on almost every shot these days... confidence in hockey starts from between the pipes. If he steps up and wins the first couple of game in convincing fashion, we're golden. If we come out weak and get behind, that'll be trouble. Keys to victory are Alfie, Fish and Chara - nuff said there.

Carolina will stomp Montreal... the Habs will have an excellent team in two years but right now they're young, a little inexperienced and their goalie situation isn't good.

I also agree that Jersey is going to win but I don't think it'll go as long as 7. Probably 5 or 6 unless Jagr shows up in a big way. Jersey is the scariest team in the east, IMO... Brodeur is on a mission after the travesty in Italy.

Buffalo and Philly is very tight and I don't really know which way it will go. I'm going to flip a coin and say Philly in 6.

The west will be exciting as always... and as much as I love the Oil I can't see them getting past Detroit. I do see at least one home with for Edmonton, though so this'll go 5 or 6 games.

I also think Dallas and Calgary will take their respective series. Only chance Colorado has is if Sakic decides to pick up the entire team and skate them around the ice.

San Jose is my pick in the west... Thornton is dominating like Iginla on a crack bender. Gonna be interesting to watch.

OK, I'm spent.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Those are quite the predictions! What kind of prize do you get if you're right?

12:10 PM  
Blogger ElaineMI said...

He gets the ultimate satisfaction that he was right and we'll all have to pay homage and yell, "You da MAN!!!"

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home