Thursday, May 25, 2006

Rant: Bikes on Sidewalks!

Although it never really used to irk me, I'm now finding it an issue. You see, I like loud music. Always have. My first album was Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry when I was 9 years old. What does that have to do with bikes on sidewalks? Glad you asked.

My house is semi-detached, and half the time I've got my little girl with me. These factors prevent me from turning up the stereo as loud as I want. I don't know what all the neighbours can hear, but I'm self-conscious about it anyway. It's part of my nature. I know, you're saying "This still isn't about bikes." I'm getting there.

In any case, since I received the gift of a snazzy MP3 player I've got into the habit of taking walks around my area (it's healthy too, ya know?) where I can turn the volume up to satisfactory levels. It's a nice distraction. I know, bad for my ears, I know. But if the years of rock bands didn't do the damage already....

So, I walk on the sidewalk. Loud music. Can't really hear anything except for the occasional car passing by. That's why I freak out when a bike is all of a sudden 'right there' beside me. I can only imagine they're yelling "Coming on your left!" or "Ding! Ding!" or "I have no respect for the HTA! Out of my way, asshat!" when they're coming up to me. Who knows. But sidewalks are meant for people. Bikes are supposed to be on the road.

Now, I can understand if these are busy roads why they'd stick on the sidewalk, but this is Castlefrank Rd! (for those that don't know Kanata, it's a total residential street. Even on some of the busier roads, Kanata is so bike friendly that there's a 4 foot lane for bikes at the side! C'mon people, use it! Don't you get sick of having to dodge pedestrians all the time? I know I would!

What worries me the most if that I'm a bit of a sidewalk wanderer, I don't stick to a straight line. I have a feeling I'm going to knock someone down eventually. If that happens, I'm going to be really torn between helping them back up and apologizing profusely or just yelling "Who's the asshat now!" which would really confuse them. Unless she's cute, cause then I'd have no choice but to be nice. ;)

Rant over. Thx for listening.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara and Scott said...

That's why sticks fit so neatly in spokes.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Agreed. Only asshats ride their bikes on sidewalks.

Oh, and what Sara said.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what you need dude - http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b62s164p673

Not only will you be able to see the bikes coming (and possibly get that spoke-poking-stick ready), but you'll be the coolest kid in the neighbourhood too! :-)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Henly said...

That's sooo swanky!

Reminds me of this excellent new hands free technology that's available. I think its use should be legislated for all drivers. Steve, you're always big on technology. I think this is for you.

http://ryanduff.net/images/wordpress/handsfree.jpg

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home