Monday, January 08, 2007

It's ok to admit that you missed me...

You see, the way I see it.. it's not truly a vacation unless you push aside as many responsibilities as you can to the side! :)

I was on break from Dec 13 till last Friday, but even Friday didn't really seem like a real work day, so I decided to make today my official return to posting.

In short, the break was good. I taught myself to sleep in till the afternoon again. I bought, played and finished Gears of War for the Xbox 360. Visited with the fam quite a bit. Had lots of playtime with Jade-a-roo and all her Xmas toys (yes, the letter X was invented by the Greeks on Dec 25th). Hung out a lot with Alley, Sara and Scott. Had much to drink and much to eat and no exercise. Tomorrow, I die in cardio kickboxing.

Rather than blow all my stories in one huge post (which I don't have the patience for anyway), I'll ration them over a number of days.. that'll help get me back in the blogging mood.

Let's start with a kind of tragic story. After heating up some leftover chicken breast, I was hurrying downstairs to catch the beginning of whatever show was coming on. I honestly can't remember. It was either UFC or Nanny 911. In any case, I had a wee bit too much enthusiasm as I wiped out halfway down. The voyage to the bottom of the stairs was a blur. When I had regained my senses, I had noticed the chicken (with sauce) was no longer in the bowl. It was on the stairs, on the floor and even on the wall. Using what blood spatter analysis skills I've developed from CSI, I determined that the orginal point of impact was the wall. Must have been one hell of an impact.

Perhaps someone else would have written the chicken off but dammit, that was good chicken! I quickly gathered the carnage back up and put it back in the bowl.

That's when I noticed.

"Pinky", my beloved pink plastic bowl, that I've had since first year university (that's 12 years for those playing at home) and have used almost exclusively while living on my own, was broken beyond practical use. It was like losing an old friend, although there is more than one person out there who will exclaim "Thank God!" at the news. Pinky haters.

Anyhow, for some reason felt inspired to write a haiku on the spot about the my fall.

Falling down the stairs
Chicken flies and hits the wall
But it still tastes good.

Be sure to check the Jade Quotes for a dandy. Possibly the best ever.

RIP Pinky.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Peace the spork out Pinky. Any chance of replacing Pinky with a Greenie or an Orangie?

May I also add that I LIVE for Nanny 911

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My deepest symapthy for the loss of such a loyal friend, as Pinky. I hope that in the coming days, you look back on your time with Pinky, as happy ones. It may take a while for the pain and sadness to subside, as you are left with an obvious hole in your heart, where Pink once dwelled. I was honoured to be a part of Pinkys burial in green plastic. Please feel free to draw on the strength of your friends in your time of need.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I wiped out on the stairs too. I was carrying a tray of taco-building materials (cheese, ground meat, salsa, shells, etc) and as such could not see my feet. I started down the stairs. No one could have predicted a cat was sitting on the stairs, completely invisible to me. Now, I'm not sure if your readers are aware, but cats offer little to no traction. I stepped on the cat, and my foot went flying out. I slammed down on my butt and went bouncing down the stairs. All I could think of was "Save the food!" and unbelievably, I managed to. Only a few stray bits of ground beef went flying. Everything else stayed intact. My wife came running over to see if I was hurt. All I could say was "Take the tray!"

I have the hugest bruise ever on my butt now.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clutzy-excitement-stair-falling-down-with-food must run in the family......

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home