Tuesday, November 28, 2006

When hard bands go soft...

I pout a little bit.

Now, it's not that I only like hard, heavy music. That's far from the truth. I really like Tori Amos, the Murmurs, Etro Anime and yes, sometimes even Sarah McLaughlin.

But when a band lightens their sound, I can't help but feel they've done so to become more marketable. And really you can't blame them, they want to make money just as much as anyone.

Listening to some of my older MP3's today reminded me how much I like Sugar Ray. Yes, the Sugar Ray that did 'Fly' and 'Someday' and 'When It's Over' and other Easy Rock radio station favourites. But I ask you, did you know about them before 'Fly'?

From their 1995 album, here's 'Mean Machine':


And still one of my favourite songs, 'Ten Seconds Down':



It's funny, one of the Mean Machine comments is "wtf happened?". My sentiments exactly. Somehow years later, the band's sound was more like this:




Now, it's not a BAD SONG (not my cup o' tea), it's just a complete transformation from what they were. I miss the old Sugar Ray.

I already know what Sara's going to say: "I'd sit on Mark McGrath's lap in a second!" :P

8 Comments:

Blogger DJ Alley said...

Gee, someone sure knows alot about Hard things that go Soft.....................

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bahahahaahahahah. What are ya saying DJ? Henly has a date with a little blue pill?

12:33 PM  
Blogger DJ Alley said...

HARD-LY
I was refering to the stories he told me about you.....

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What what what???!?! What did he say? 'Cuz no matter what he said, I can better it by telling stories about him!

10:11 AM  
Blogger DJ Alley said...

I await those stories!!! When your wife lets you out of the house to play..........!!!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He *has* been telling you things, hasn't he??

12:19 PM  
Blogger DJ Alley said...

Nooooo Anon! Why-ever would you think that......???? Just because a little girl's kidneys exploded on the ride back from your house......

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home