Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Storytime!

Well, I'm starting to dry up on current events material and life stuff in general has been rather slow, so for today here's a favourite family story from years ago:

As I might have mentioned in the past, I once had casts on both my feet at the same time. I guess I was about 4 or 5. I have this isolated memory of sitting on the floor in the old family room, the plaster still a bit wet. I couldn't really go anywhere, so I was plopped in front of the TV watching old black and white reruns of Dr. Who (it's not that I'm that old, my brother had borrowed tapes or something). Anyway, that's not the story.

While I had them on, I tried to keep up and do the "family things". One thing we usually did was take nature walks in the Old Quarry Trail (across from the Hazeldean Mall). On this particular occasion, I had trouble keeping up because
  1. I had short legs (everyone else was 12+)
  2. I had two bloody casts on my feet!


So every once in a while, the family would have to stop to wait for poor, poor Scott to catch up. Enter my Dad, who sometimes cannot let the opportunity for a good joke pass him by, regardless of the circumstances. During one of the "Scott stops", he noticed a family coming the other way. Timing it perfectly as the family passed by, he turned to face me and shouted convincingly in his "angry voice":

"Hurry up, or I'll break your arms too!"

Apparently, the look on the faces of that family was priceless. My brother Brad, who was always a little sensitive, whispered: "Dad, shhh... I think they heard you!!" The rest of us were trying to stop from laughing, just to keep the gag up. Well, except me. I was too focused on catching up without falling down. :p

Can you imagine if someone made that joke today? We would have been visited by child services for sure! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger ElaineMI said...

Oh, the things we do to our kids!!

I used to tell my son, if he didn't wash his hands before he ate, he'd get worms. I can't tell you how many times he'd call me into the bathroom to, uh...inspect things. Boy, did that ever backfire on me!!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home